Nailympics Competition General Rules
*Update – be sure to check out the 2009 Nailympics winners!
Official general rules for all of the Nailympics competitions.
- Each competition will have a briefing, scheduled 20 minutes prior to the start of each event. Competitors and models must be present for the briefing.
- Once the briefing starts; the competitor may not touch the model’s nails until the competition begins. If any competitor touches their model’s nails once the briefing has started, they will have five points deducted from their final score.
- Competitors not understanding English fluently must supply their own translator. The translator must be present during the competition briefing and stay just outside the competition floor in a designated area during the competition in the event they are needed for communication with the competitor.
- The Nailympics is not responsible for any competitor not adhering to or understanding the rules.
- A full set (2 hands) must be completed and all work must be finished in the time allotted for the competition.
- Model’s nails will be checked by the floor judge during the briefing to be certain no work has been done previously.
- If it’s decided by the judges that prep work has been done on the model prior to the briefing; the competitor will receive a five-point deduction from their final score.
- Competitors will be allowed to set up their tools and products during the competition briefing.
- Competitors must specify the competition division they are entering when the registration form is filled out.
- Once a competitor has registered they cannot change divisions.
- Strictly no nail molds may be used.
- Competitors must enter the highest division they qualify for.
- Due to the large attendance and international participation, the Nailympics is not responsible for verifying that each competitor enters the correct division, this is done on the honour system. The admin team will correct those it knows to be incorrect, but cannot verify all.
- If it’s found a competitor has registered in the wrong division, they will receive a 10-point deduction in their final score for each competition.
- Competitors must bring all necessary electrical supplies including UV lamp, extension cord and adaptors. (The Nailympics may supply a daylight lamp – please check a week before the competition).
- Each competitor will be provided one electrical outlet – gel competitors will get two outlets.
- No refunds of competition fees are given.
- No smoking or eating is allowed during the competition. Only non-alcoholic drinks are allowed.
- Once the allotted time is up, competitors must immediately stop working and stand with their model.
- Any competitor found to still be working on their model after the close of the competition will be disqualified.
- Incomplete nails will be judged with an automatic 10-point deduction from the competitor’s final score.
- When instructed, competitors are responsible for getting their model to the judging arena and making sure they know to visit each judge before leaving.
- Models must not leave the judging arena until they’ve been judged.
- Any model leaving the judging arena prior to being judged will be disqualified.
- All products must be clearly labeled – hand-written labels are acceptable.
- Each division will have one overall division winner – the ‘Winner of Winners’.
- There is no restriction on Winner of Winners – everyone is eligible, even if they won it the previous year.
- A 1-10 point judging system will be used; – 1 being the lowest – 10 being flawless.
- Any competitor not abiding by these rules will take whatever point deduction is allowed in the rules. For those rules not specifying a point deduction, there will be one warning, after that there will be a five-point deduction for the next warning and disqualification for the third infringement.
- Score sheets will be available for all competitors and those not picked up on the day will be sent by the organiser to attendees approximately four weeks after the event.
- Any draws in scores are investigated and a winner awarded by the head judge.
- All photos/video taken by Nailympics personnel or contractors are the sole property of the organiser, to be used in whatever fashion deemed appropriate by the organiser without compensation to the competitors.
- Competitor numbers will be allocated at registration.
- Competitors may not go into their kit bag after the competition has begun.
- Competitions are open to students and professional nail technicians.
- The Nailympics reserves the right to refuse entry to any competitor.
- Competitors must use a live model and arrange for their own model.
- Competitors and models must be at least 18 years old.
Judges’ decisions are final.
Note For All Nail Art Categories
No copyrighted designs allowed (ie, NFL, Disney, Warner Bros, celebrity likeness).
Any competitor producing a copyrighted design will have 10 points deducted from their final score. This includes any logos from any company or reproduced copyrighted artwork, unless you have proof of a legal right to reproduce the artwork or logo.
Jump To More 2009 Nailympic Info
- Nailympics 2009 (General Information)
- Rules – Sculpture, L&P, Wrap & Gel Tip & Overlay
- Rules -Mixed Media Boxed Nail Art
- Rules – Fantasy Nail Art
- Judges 2009
- Winners 2008